How To Audition For Netflix: The Complete Guide (2023)
Acting practice scripts can help you develop your character-building, improvisation, and emotional expression skills, and can also prepare you for auditions or performances.
We’ve created 6 copyright-free practice scripts for you to use:
How the Netflix casting process works
The Netflix casting process is a highly competitive and rigorous process that seeks to find the best actors and performers to bring their original shows and films to life. The process typically involves several rounds of auditions and callbacks, and can vary depending on the specific show or project.
- To begin the process, casting directors will typically issue a casting call or search for talent through agents, online platforms, and talent agencies. Actors will then submit their headshots and resumes, and may be asked to provide a self-tape audition or attend an in-person audition.
- After the initial round of auditions, casting directors will begin to narrow down the pool of candidates and conduct callbacks for the most promising actors. These callbacks may involve chemistry reads with other actors, screen tests, and meetings with producers and directors.
- Throughout the casting process, casting directors and producers will be looking for a range of factors in their actors, including their ability to bring the character to life, their range and versatility as performers, and their ability to work collaboratively with the rest of the production team.
One unique aspect of the Netflix casting process is the company’s focus on diversity and inclusivity in their casting choices. The company has made a concerted effort in recent years to increase representation of underrepresented groups in their productions, and casting directors are encouraged to consider actors from diverse backgrounds for all roles.
Overall, the Netflix casting process is a highly competitive and selective process that seeks to find the best possible talent to bring their original content to life. For actors looking to audition for Netflix, it is important to be prepared, focused, and willing to put in the hard work and dedication required to succeed in this competitive industry.
How to find Netflix audition opportunities
If you’re an actor hoping to land an audition for a Netflix show, one of the biggest challenges you may face is finding the right opportunities to apply for. With so many shows and films being produced by the streaming giant, it can be overwhelming to know where to start your search. Here are some tips on how to find Netflix audition opportunities:
- Check Casting Websites: Casting websites such as Backstage, Casting Networks, and Actors Access regularly post audition opportunities for Netflix productions. Create a profile on these sites and set up alerts for Netflix projects.
- Follow Casting Directors on Social Media: Many casting directors and agencies use social media to post casting calls and audition information. Follow them on platforms like Twitter and Instagram to stay up-to-date on Netflix projects they are casting.
- Use Networking: Networking is a crucial aspect of the entertainment industry. Attend industry events, connect with other actors, and build relationships with casting directors, agents, and managers who may have inside knowledge of upcoming Netflix projects.
- Keep an Eye on Industry News: Industry publications like Deadline and Variety often report on new Netflix productions and casting announcements. Keep an eye on these publications to get a heads up on upcoming projects and potential audition opportunities.
- Research the Production Companies: Many Netflix shows and films are produced by specific production companies. Research these companies and their upcoming projects to find potential audition opportunities.
- Create a Self-Tape: In addition to traditional audition opportunities, Netflix sometimes accepts self-taped auditions from actors. Keep an eye out for these opportunities and make sure you have a high-quality self-tape ready to submit.
Remember that finding Netflix audition opportunities may take time and effort, but staying informed and being persistent can help you get one step closer to your dream role. Be prepared to put in the work, and don’t get discouraged if you don’t land an audition right away. With patience and persistence, your Netflix audition opportunity may be just around the corner.
Top Netflix Casting Directors
Some of the top Netflix casting directors include:
- Carmen Cuba – known for casting hit shows like Stranger Things, The Queen’s Gambit, and Narcos.
- Jennifer Euston – responsible for casting popular series like Orange is the New Black, GLOW, and Unbelievable.
- David Rubin – cast the Oscar-winning film The Trial of the Chicago 7, as well as shows like The OA and Wild Wild Country.
- Alexa Fogel – cast shows like The Crown, Ozark, and Master of None.
- Eyde Belasco – worked on shows like Dead to Me, You, and Santa Clarita Diet.
- Rich Delia – cast shows like Mindhunter, 13 Reasons Why, and Stranger Things.
- Julie Schubert – responsible for casting shows like Russian Doll, Dark, and The Society.
- Kathleen Chopin – cast shows like House of Cards, The Haunting of Hill House, and Space Force.
- Jina Jay – worked on shows like The Witcher, Sex Education, and The Crown.
- Sherry Thomas – responsible for casting shows like Bridgerton, Ginny and Georgia, and The Kominsky Method.
These casting directors are known for their ability to discover and cast talented actors, which has helped to make Netflix one of the most successful and popular streaming platforms today.
Navigating the Netflix callback process
Navigating the callback process for Netflix auditions can be a challenging and nerve-wracking experience for actors. Here are some tips to help you out:
- Review the sides: Be sure to carefully review the material you were given for the initial audition and any new material provided for the callback. Take note of any changes in the character’s development or motivations.
- Practice with a partner: If possible, practice the scenes with a partner to get feedback and refine your performance.
- Be prepared for changes: Be prepared for the possibility of new scenes, different directions, or even changes to the character you are auditioning for.
- Take direction well: Listen carefully to any direction given by the casting directors or other members of the creative team. Show that you are adaptable and can take feedback constructively.
- Stay focused and present: Stay focused on the scene and the moment, and try not to get distracted by nerves or outside factors.
- Be professional and courteous: Be polite and respectful to everyone you meet during the callback process, from the casting directors to other actors who may be in the waiting room. You never know who may be watching or listening.
- Bring your best self: Showcase your skills, personality, and enthusiasm for the project. Be confident in your abilities and show that you are the right fit for the role.
By following these tips, you can navigate the Netflix callback process with confidence and increase your chances of landing a role on one of their productions.